Sunday, March 13, 2011

The 10% Solution

Weekly weigh-in: 221.8
Loss: -0.5
Total loss: -70.1
Emotion: Down to Business


I don’t know how it is for you, but I’m pretty satisfied with how I’m doing on this healthy living trek I’m on… about 90% of the time.

There was a time when that percentage was skewing much higher, but let’s be honest here… there was a time when it was hovering in the teens as well.

These days, I get to the gym more often than not, eat healthy meals more often than not, stay focused on my goals more often than not.

But I’ve noticed that that “not”… that 10% or so of the time when I stray off plan… is like a frayed piece of yarn on a wool sweater. You don’t think too much of it, don’t realize that taking care of it now will keep the whole thing from unraveling in the future.

I realize that staying at 100% over the long haul is probably unreasonable, but when I step back and look at the bigger picture, it’s easy to see that 90% is an agonizingly slow path back to where I started.

Momentum is a tricky thing. When you get on a good roll with this weight-loss business, you often get to the point where nothing can stop you.

When you lose control and really fall off the wagon, it can feel like you’re trying to catch back up to a runaway train.

Ten percent doesn’t seem like all that much in the grand scheme of things… but I’m going to see what I can do about squeezing that number a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment