Sunday, September 12, 2010

Might As Well Jump

Weekly weigh-in: 211.1
Loss: +1.1
Total loss: -80.9
Emotion: Not as down as you'd think

Some weeks, it’s clear skies for as far as the eye can see.

You wake up with energy and excitement and greet the day with pride and purpose.

You feel like you’re packing a powerful punch, and know deep inside that you’ve got the ability to push yourself to do great things.

It’s all good feelings and good choices.

You don’t mind keeping the pressure on or working your ass off.

You feel like you’re on track.

And then there’s weeks like this past one…

HURDLE: My regular Monday night basketball game got cancelled because of Labor Day.

HURDLE: I got to the gym on Tuesday and realized that I’d packed two shirts and no shorts.

HURDLE: I went to the fair (with it's deep-fried Twinkies and everything-on-a-stick)... twice. The first time was to watch my daughter Pisa exhibit her prize-winning chickens, and the second time was a seven-and-a-half hour outing with her and a pal.

HURDLE: My gym… a Jewish Community Center… was closed Thursday and Friday for Rosh Hashanah.

HURDLE: Had a couple of business lunches during the week.

HURDLE: Went out Saturday night to a fantastic Vietnamese restaurant Anita discovered.

HURDLE: Wound up at a party Saturday night where I had to drink some wine to be polite (and I’m very polite).

Any one of those hurdles could have been enough to throw my week out of whack, but all of them combined?

A little more than I could handle, it would seem...

It’s a little discouraging to trip up, until I stopped to consider that this track I’m on–this endless circle that I’m running–it’s always going to be littered with obstacles. I’m going to be be facing hurdles every step of the way.

So I’m gonna lace ‘em up a little tighter, run a little harder and get ready to leap over everything in my way.

After all, jumping hurdles is good exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment