Sunday, January 9, 2011

Making Waves

Weekly weigh-in: 217.1
Loss: -.8
Total loss: -74.8
Emotion: Resolutiony

When I was a little kid, there was a game I liked to play when my family went down to the beach. It involved me “fighting” against the waves pounding against the surf.

“Is that all you got?” I’d holler as a wave came crashing down across my chest, pushing me back several feet. “Is that all you…”

About that time, a huge swell would plaster me, driving me down against the ocean floor.

“Id thab oll chu gob?” I’d say, sand dripping out of my mouth and bright lights twinkling under my eyelids.

Needless to say, it wasn’t a fair fight, and that’s kinda how I feel about the holiday season.

Not. A. Fair. Fight.

Cookies everywhere you turn. Seasonal coffees with gingerbread and eggnog and peppermint. Parties at the office. Parties at home. Parties in my car on the way to other parties.

I went into the season with every good intention and staggered into the new year a beaten-down man.

Beaten-down, but not beaten.

Because just as the holiday brings it’s torture chamber of tempting treats, January is always there with resolutions and renewed spirit.

I haven’t posted a weigh-in in a couple of weeks, and I can promise you that the numbers weren’t pretty. But this week I was back in the gym with determination and gusto. More importantly, I’ve whittled off some of the bad habits that seem to have clamped back on at the end of the year.

I’ve got my focus, and I’ve got my plan.

This isn’t gonna be a fair fight.

2011… you better get some more guys.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment