Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blindsided




Weekly weigh-in: *****
Loss: ****
Total loss: -****
Emotion: < Using my "Get Out of Weigh-in Free" card >

Life.

Stupid, meddlesome, jump-up-and-bite-ya-in-the-ass life.

Don't you hate it when events conspire to send you reeling off the straight-and-narrow?

Sometime Monday night, my wife Anita suffered a detached retina and we had to rush her in for emergency eye surgery.

Sounds bad, huh? The really scary part of the story is that Anita is already blind in the other eye. She's driving without a spare, so you can imagine how high tension's were running.

After sitting around and fretting for about six hours, they finally wheeled her back and fixed her up.

The good news is that everything went as well as it could go. The bad news is that she has to lie on her side - as immobile as possible - for a week.

So... no plan this week except to get through this week. No working out, no wringing sweat, no weighing in. This week wasn't about... couldn't be about ...  me and my journey.

This is a long, long road and there will be detours a'plenty along the way. Any frustration I might feel goes up in smoke as I look out of the two good eyeballs that I so often take for granted.


Sometimes I get tunnel-visioned and think that my whole world is this fitness quest.

This week? It was... er... an eye-opener.





-> 

No comments:

Post a Comment