Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm Run Out of Clever Titles

Hardly a week goes by that I don't get a desperate email from someone 
who can't seem to turn the corner of his or her weight-loss journey.

I try to give them advice and encouragement, but the truth is that I
 don't know how much good it does. I mean, I'm not a nutritionist, not 
a life coach, not a doctor of... ummm... weightlossology. I'm just a 
boy with a blog.



Maybe you're stumbling and struggling, too. Lord knows I haven't spent
 much time "in the zone" this year. Sometimes when I get those emails,
I feel like a swim coach who only knows how to dog paddle trying to 
teach the breaststroke.

Except...



Except I have learned quite a bit on this journey, and I'm more than happy to
pass on the tips and tricks I've picked up along the way. 

If you go through my year-and-a-half's worth of posts (not that I
 recommend you actually doing that; people have hurt themselves ingesting too 
much Sh*t in one sitting), you'll come to realize that there are only 
a few basic plays in my playbook...



1. Eat a little less

2. Eat a little healthier

3. Exercise more

The rest of the program (let's call it #4) is simply finding some way to
 keep #1-3 an everyday part of our lives.



No matter how difficult this has been or how hopeless it sometimes 
seems, all that you need to succeed is the wisdom to make sound 
choices and the perseverance to stick with it even when your heart is
 not in it all the way.


If you can wrap your head around the fact that you can, indeed, do this… well, chances are you’ll find some way to achieve what you’ve set out to achieve.

And those are the emails I really like to get: the ones from folks telling me they’ve accomplished their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment